We read and annotated the language chapter
We explored language through a seminar on an excerpt from Metaphors We Live By
We discussed whether or not body language was alternative or complementary
We worked in groups on how language shapes thought & whether it is unique to human beings
Homework due Friday [[Monday (field trip) Wednesday (SAT)]]:
1. Using the site Culture Crossing to complete the following and post in comments section:
~Select a country that you know little to nothing about
~Explore the subtopics of basics, business, and students
~Describe the similarities and differences between your country of exploration and customs here
~Discuss what you found interesting, shocking, and/or thought-provoking
~Reminder for posts: anonymous+first name+3A+post (draft in word first)
2. Article Readings by Teacher Assignment (I will email all 4):
~Mathematics & Language: Is Mathematics Universal?
(LaShawnda, Madalyn, Obichi, Jemuel, Uchechi & Stanley)
~Gender & Language: You Are What You Say
(Sunny, AK, Fitsume, Tunji, Nnedi, Jocelyn M.)
~Culture & Body Language: China/USA Differences
(Asia, Jocelyn N, Jesus, Ephraim, Alicia& Adriana)
~Music & Language: Exploring the Mysteries of Conducting
(Jazmine, Jennifer, Catherine E, Abigail, Ashley & Stanley)
~Body Language & Perception: Amy Cuddy Video
(Rebeca, Catherine O, Kelly, Constance, Vaskia, Alyssa, & Telani)
Come prepared to discuss the following:
1. 10 important points from the article
2. 2 Questions about the information presented
3. Implications of information that is presented
Tuesday 3/4/14: 2nd Seminar on Text in Google Drive: Umbrellaology
1. What is the most important sentence/phrase? Explain your thinking.
2. What is the nature of science? Explain your thinking?
3. Is Umbrellalogy a science? What role does language play in the text? Explain your thinking.
Thursday 3/6/14 Read and Annotate: Perception Chapter using SQ3R+ Method